Owls Head Lighthouse sits majestically atop an 80-foot bluff overlooking Penobscot Bay, near the entrance to Rockland Harbor along Midcoast Maine. Once atop the lighthouse visitors have the chance to admire the gorgeous fourth order Fresnel lens that dates back to 1856 while enjoying panoramic views of the bay, islands and marine traffic, including Maine’s elegant windjammer fleet.
Hours of Operation:
Keeper’s House Museum & Gift Shop
Open 6 days a week In Season:
(mid-May through late October)
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
*Closed Tuesdays, but may open by chance. Grounds are open sunrise to sunset.
Visit our Gift Shop online:
If you missed us when we are open or can’t visit right now, we have created a special Owls Head Lighthouse collection in our online gift shop filled with Owls Head goodies just for you!
Lighthouse Climbing Tours
Memorial Day – Columbus Day
Tour Schedule: **2022 Update – Tour dates to climb the lighthouse are being planned. Please check back in early June for updates.
Volunteers staff this popular sentinel for climbing from Memorial Day through Columbus Day. Please note, all tours are weather and volunteer availability permitting. Must be 42″ to climb the lighthouse. Suggested donation: $3.00 per person
For More Information:
ALF’s Interpretive Center: Located on the first floor inside the Keeper’s House at Owls Head Lighthouse!
Phone: (207) 594-4174
Open year-round, weather permitting. Please call 207-594-4174 for off-season hours or more information.
Tower Tour FAQS:
- Height Requirement: Our younger visitors must be taller than 42 inches to climb the tower.
- There are no restroom facilities at the lighthouse. Please utilize the restrooms adjacent to the parking lot.
- Wear comfortable shoes. High heels, flip-flops, or other open back footwear are not permitted when climbing the tower.
- Use caution when climbing the stairs to the lighthouse and then again when climbing the steps inside in the tower. Be prepared to climb a seven wrung ladder to enter the lantern room. Use the hand railing where appropriate.
- Dress warmly. The lighthouse is located on a precipice 80 feet above the ocean. Expect higher velocity winds and lower temperatures as compared to the parking lot.
GPS Coordinates: 44° 05′ 33″N 69° 02′ 39″W (View Map)
From US Route 1in Rockland… At the intersection of Park and Main Streets (traffic light) turn right onto Route 73 (South Main Street) and follow for 1.8 miles. Turn left onto North Shore Drive and follow signs 3.4 miles to Owls Head Light State Park. Once in the parking lot, walk the two-tenths of a mile to the lighthouse.